Monday, June 11, 2012

Making handbags

I had no idea how much time it goes into making a real handbag, a purse, with lining and pockets and all that.  I admit I have a new developed appreciation for handbags.  Depending on the complexity of it, one must cut at least 8-10 identical pieces for the front, back, and lining together.  All the ironing, basting, it's all time consuming.  I should have known this, because I had the similar realization when I took my sewing class two years ago and learned about all the labor that goes into making a shirt with collar and buttons and cuffs.  And then there is time spent on planning, the fabrics, the color, the design, the embellishing.


I cut enough for 4 bags, but I only constructed two over my days off.






And I learned that cutting and managing a 5 yard piece of fabric can be challenging if you have to work in a limited space with no real cutting table and having to use the floor.  But here you have them, the two bags I made and now contemplating on making more.

3 comments:

Jeree said...

They are gorgeous!

Jeree said...

They are gorgeous!

A bird in the hand said...

Hello Vesna,
How sweet of you to visit my blog.
Your bags are lovely.
cheers, Colette