Sunday, June 03, 2012

It's never too late to find out who you want to be

My friend Lisa from The Pink Zebra Boutique said she was looking to sell bags at her boutique.  She asked: 'are you a good seamstress?'.  And I thought, why didn't I get a degree in something practical like that.  I thought of the sewing class I took 2 years ago and the shirt that I made with two left sleeves.  I wanted to say I am a good seamstress, so I said: 'let me work on it'. 
I came home and looked at a couple of patterns I had bought at Joann's Fabric at about the same time I took the sewing class.  Lisa's question was the challenge I needed to take a closer look at these patterns.
It required a great deal of concentration to work on this.  I didn't have too many fabric choices and materials and I couldn't really afford any at the moment.  I had to work with what I had on hand.  I was feeling stressed, the kids weren't helping with their constant demands for food, or drink, or to look at this or that, or to spell words for them.  This was definitely one time I wished sooo much that I had a family or friend who could help me and watch the kids for a few hours.  It was one of those 'mom' days, where mom really needed a break from kids, but it wasn't going to happen.  It was a 'bad' day for mom, because I wasn't getting done the things that I wanted to do.
I stayed up late on Saturday night, working on this.  My husband encouraged me to stay up, even though after getting the kids in bed and reading them a story I was ready to go to sleep myself.  I made a pot of coffee that I never drank.  My husband was going to stay up too, but I found him asleep on the couch.  I kept making mistakes, ripping the pieces apart, and putting them back together, until I had to admit that I was too tired to even think logically to avoid mistakes.  So I went to bed at 1am.

This morning after breakfast my husband finally took the kids off my hands for a couple of hours. They went to Bookmans.  It was exactly what I needed to finish my bag, just a few hours of peace and quiet.

2 comments:

Jeree said...

Gorgeous!! You did a great job!

Vesna said...

Jeree, I have two more coming that I will post pictures soon.