Thursday, April 12, 2012

No mom I'm Patrick

My son, my sweet little man has a speech delay and they (the doctors and educators) think that he may be somewhere on the autism spectrum disorders.  When I first heard of this almost 3 years ago it really affected me.  I cried, felt confused and helpless.  I wasn't sure what to think, what to do, or what to expect.  Over time I got used to not expect anything, but to just go along, give him all the help and love he needs and he will be fine.
And he is fine.  A handsome little guy he is.  Very polite, he'd shake your hand, introducing himself and saying 'nice to meet you'.  And he is very helpful, the first one to jump and help me pick up the mess they've made.  Cleans up after himself when you ask him.  Gives hugs and kisses, especially if you appear to be hurt.  And his speech has come a long way, even though sometime he takes and answers things literally.  I said to him that he is my favorite guy, and he said: no mom, I'm Patrick.

No comments: