Monday, April 02, 2012

Holy Mary!

It's almost Easter and the Dollar Tree by my house had stickers of the Virgin Mary.  For me images of Mary symbolize motherhood, pure and unconditional love.  So when I saw these stickers at the Dollar Tree I had to have them.  By now you know that I like using paper, fabric and thread all at the same time, so it should come as no surprise that I had to sew these stickers and I made earings out of them.
Here is what you need if you'd like to make a few pairs for yourself:
  • Stickers
  • Peel & Stick clear laminate (the roll you line your kitchen cabinets and drawers, just get a clear one)
  • Brown roll paper (or a paper bag, this can be lunch paper bag or get your groceries bagged in a paper bag next time you go to the store)
  • Earring hooks
  • Scissors and a needle or seam ripper
  • Thread (preferably decorative but any color would do)
  • Sewing machine

First peel and stick the stickers on the brown paper.  Then laminate it both the front and back with the Peel & Stick clear laminate.

Cut the stickers as close to the edge as you can.

The funnest step for me is stitching a border around the edge.  I used a simple straight stitch, this works for me.  But you could use zigzag or anything else you wish.  The simpler the stitch the better, more complicated ones could ruin the paper by perforating it.

After I was done stitching I applied a little bit of fray check where the beginning and the end stitch met.  You could probably tie the htreads too if you don't have fray check.

The I used a seam ripper to poke holes close to the top/middle of the sticker and attached the earring hooks.

The earrings are very light weight and I added the little hook stoppers to make sure the earrings don't fall off when you wear them.





No comments: